Building Debian packages using Linux namespaces
In the past few days I have been messing around with Linux namespaces,
and developed a little tool (pflask) that automates the creation of
simple Linux containers based on them (a sort of
chroot(8) on steroids if you
While the whole raison d'être behind this project was "just because", and many more mature solutions exist, I decided that it'd be nice to find an actual use case for this (otherwise I tend to lose interest pretty quickly) so I wrote a lil (and rather dumb) pbuilder clone that uses pflask instead of chroot.
The nice thing about pflask is that, differently from e.g. LXC, it doesn't need
any pre-configuration and can be used directly on a vanilla
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/cache/pflask $ sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd $DIST /var/cache/pflask/base-$DIST-$ARCH
$ARCH are e.g.
Once that's done just run
pflask-debuild on the package sources:
$ apt-get source somepackage $ cd somepackage-XYX $ pflask-debuild
The script will take care of creating a new container,
chroot(2)ing into it,
installing all the required dependencies, building and signing the package (it
also runs lintian!).
The main difference from pbuilder is that pflask will mount a copy-on-write
filesystem (using AuFS) on the / of the container so that any modification
(e.g. installation of packages) can be easily discarded once the container
terminates (similarly to what
cowbuilder(8) does, modulo the hardlinks hack).
Additionally, thanks to the mount namespace created inside the container, all of this will be isolated from the host system and other containers, so that multiple packages can be built simultaneously on the same base debootstrapped directory.
Another possibility would be that of disabling the network inside the container using a network namespace, in order to prevent the package build system from downloading stuff from Internet while at the same time maintaining the network active on the host system, but I haven't done any experiment in this direction yet.
Note though that all of this is rather crude and experimental, but as a little hack it seems to work rather well (YMMV).